I read a great article entitled Just Walk in the August 2016 issue of Natural Awakenings on http://www.NaturalAwakeningsMag.com. Many are aware of the physical and mental benefits of walking which include weight loss and increased energy and better sleep. Here are a few more:
- Walking helps to reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes
- Walking reduces anxiety and clears thinking
- Walking facilitates doctor-patient communication
- Walking boosts life performance
- Walking with others leads to meaningful social connections
Check out the US Surgeon General’s Call to Action on Walking program that was launched last year!
Walking is the most important activity that I participate in daily in order to maintain my health and wellness foundation. Even those of us who have been lifelong walkers are moved to walk more by tracking out steps and the distance we walk each day.