Many are heading out on vacation away from home during the holidays. Some may be boarding planes for flights and others may be hopping in their vehicles for a road trip. However you plan to travel and wherever you are staying, consider using some healthy vacation eating strategies.
- Do not skip meals and watch your portion sizes
- Do not raid the hotel minibar and get suggestions for restaurants with healthy food
- Limit yourself to two low-calorie alcoholic drinks per day
- If you are flying pack healthy portable foods (nuts, dried fruit) and if you are driving, pack a cooler with healthy foods (yogurt, string cheese)
- If your hotel has a kitchenette with a fridge, use it. Go to the grocery store and purchase healthy snacks and breakfast foods
Keri Gans, RD Small Change vacation eating tips
I love homemade applesauce with cinnamon. One of the items I use often during the holidays is the slow cooker. Our family has always eaten hearty and healthy right out of our room at ski resorts, by using a slow cooker!