The foods we eat can negatively or positively impact our heart health. Fuel your body with foods that keep you healthy. Protect your heart by eating heart-smart foods.
According to Health.com certain key foods can reduce your risk of heart disease.
Seven heart-healthy foods include:
- Oatmeal has soluble fiber that can decrease your LDL, the “bad” cholesterol
- Salmon is an oily fish high in heart-protective omega-3 fatty acids
- Nuts have good-for-you mono and polyunsaturated fats
- Extra-virgin olive oil has monounsaturated fats that lower LDL
- Berries lower inflammation
- Legumes and lentils lower risk for heart disease
- Broccoli has anti-inflammatory and detoxifying effects
Try to combine these foods in meals you eat each day. Make the food moves you need to lessen your chances of getting heart disease.
Overnight Steel-Cut Oatmeal:
Bring 1 and 1/2 cups of water to boil in a small covered sauce pan on the stove top. Add 1/2 cup of steel-cut oats and stir for one minute. Cover and let sit overnight. In the morning, heat up the oatmeal in the microwave and add your favorite toppings (i.e. nuts, berries)-YUM!