Those who follow me know that blogging about healthy eating is one of my favorite wellness and health subjects! I grew up in a family that cooked and ate at home nearly every night. One of the sites I read is the healthy eating topics section of HelpGuide.org. This week I am blogging about some of their healthy eating topics.
“Healthy eating is not about strict dietary limitations, staying unrealistically thin, or depriving yourself of the foods you love. Rather, it’s about feeling great, having more energy, improving your outlook, and stabilizing your mood. If you feel overwhelmed by all the conflicting nutrition and diet advice out there, you’re not alone.”
Healthy eating tip 1: Set yourself up for success
- Prepare a majority of your own meals-cooking more meals at home can help you take charge and monitor what you’re eating
- Make the right changes-replace unhealthy foods with healthy alternatives for example dangerous trans fats with healthy fats (i.e.grilled fish for fried chicken)
- Simplify-think of your diet in terms of color, variety, and freshness and avoid packaged and processed foods
- Read labels-be aware of what’s in your food as manufacturers often hide large amounts of sugar or unhealthy fats in packaged food
- Focus on how you feel after eating-this can help foster healthy new habits and tastes
- Drink plenty of water-water helps flush our systems of toxins-do not mistake thirst for hunger
“When it comes to making healthy food choices, what works best for one person may not always be the best choice for another.”
It is time for summer fruit! For dessert I recently prepared water poached peaches with a few blueberries on top. Delicious!