To get through the holidays while continuing to eat healthy, come up with some basic guidelines as a blueprint to follow to keep you on track. In “The Small Change Diet” Keri Gans suggests:
- Dine out, rather than pig out.
- Celebrate the event, not the food.
- Treat”the holidays” as one day, not one month.
- Take a vacation from work, not from eating smart.
She recommends that you plan before you party and that your strategy begins before the event does:
- The day of the event, eat normally before you go.
- Snack before you go (a healthy carb and protein)
- Get back on track immediately after the celebration!
Remember to treat the holidays as one day (or two:) and not the entire month of December. I have recovered nicely after the Maple Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce!